Lima New York Orem
BYU-Pathway Facebook BYU-Pathway Instagram BYU-Pathway Pinterest BYU-Pathway Tweets BYU-Pathway Blog Feed
August 20, 2019

Organization: A Key to Success

Follow these 3 tips to be more organized

There’s no question that life can get busy! Between balancing school, work, family, and church responsibilities, who has time to think about being organized? Why is being organized so important?

If there was one person who had a lot to juggle in his life, it was the Prophet Joseph Smith. At a time in his life when he was handling the affairs of the whole Church, raising a family, and dealing with insurmountable trials brought on by his persecutors, Joseph received this counsel from the Lord to build a temple:

Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God.”1

The early Saints worked and sacrificed to build the Kirtland temple the way the Lord instructed. We can learn from their example by organizing our homes and lives in a similar way. Even though we aren’t asked to do the same things as Joseph Smith and the Saints, the same principles of organization are still important to the Lord.

Here are three tips to help make your home a house of order:

Organize your goals

Setting goals is vital to our progression and learning! Elder M. Russell Ballard said, “[I]f we don’t set goals in our life and learn how to master the techniques of living to reach our goals, we can reach a ripe old age and look back on our life only to see that we reached but a small part of our full potential.”2

Whether you’re setting goals at the beginning of the year, the semester, or at the start of a new day, make a specific plan to accomplish your short-term and long-term goals. After making a plan, keep your goals and plans in a visible place so you can remember them and check your progress often.

Organize your surroundings

Maintain a clean space free from distractions. You might dedicate one room in your home to be your “study room” and keep it clear of clutter. You could also study at a local library or other quiet place to help you focus. Your ability to concentrate and feel the Spirit often increases when your environment is clean and organized. As you keep your surroundings organized, pay attention to how it changes the way you feel and the way you learn!

Organize your schedule

You can effectively manage your time by planning to accomplish specific tasks at specific times throughout the day, week, or semester. The best way to organize your schedule is to prioritize and pace yourself. By prioritizing, you make sure that you’re accomplishing the most important things first. By pacing yourself, you prevent yourself from feeling overwhelmed.

A personal planner on your phone or computer could be a helpful tool to keep track of what you need to do each day. You might mark important dates, such as when your assignments are due (and which ones), semester deadlines, and any other upcoming appointments and events.

By implementing these three small and simple steps, you can set yourself up for success and stay organized for school and in your life!

What do you do to stay organized? Share below!

1^ Doctrine and Covenants 88:119

2^ M. Russell Ballard, “How to Set Goals,” Preach My Gospel, 2016.

Comments on "Organization: A Key to Success"

Ngatupuna Jonassen says:

Although planning and working the plan towards our goals are important, I think evaluation is just as important. Evaluating how we progress throughout the day is the measurement of our efforts in the work we do; our strengths and weaknesses. If we are successful we give ourselves a pat on the back and if we have failed in some areas we make changes and find ways to improve in those areas. This works for me. I hope it will work for you too.

Allan William Ndiwalana says:

It is important for us to acknowledge that it is a matter of time setting. In the times of Elijah, Elisha did all his best to learn with diligence and perfection. Yes, we can!

Nsentip Monday Okon says:

Thank you sister Rachel for this wonderful lesson. I will learn to be organized so that I will succeed.

Breanne Su'a says:

Thanks for sharing, Nsentip! I know becoming more organized will help you have an even better semester.

aojan julius says:

To add on all comments our goals should should be leading us to our heavenly father because he is author every thing including our success every good thing comes from him, its his pleasure to give us good gifts.

Vheen Audrey Soriano says:

What a very precise and informative blog! Thank you. When we set goals, we should also ALWAYS have a plan B, plan C etc… Based on my experience, you cannot only plan a single specific order of goals because if along the way something unplanned occurred, the rest will be affected and might fall apart. It’s good that we have a specific order of goals we hold onto in life, but we should also prepare in case things go the way we didn’t plan them to. We should always have an alternative road which we can take to get back on track. 🙂

Leona says:

Hi, I read about how Sister Marion Painter at age 94 in 2014 was taking Pathway and having a ball. Is she still living and did she finish the full program as she hoped to? I love how she wrote a love letter to her computer.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Catherine Tree says:

I have found that I can feel good about those things I accomplished each day and realize that tomorrow will come. Those things I didn’t accomplish can be done tomorrow if I prioritize things in such a way that the most important things that have to be done today are done first. Reading the scriptures, saying my morning prayers, and asking for the Lord to guide me throughout the day starts the day on a positive setting. I find that I accomplish more by asking the Lord to be my companion each day. What better companion can we ask for?

Cyndi says:

For me, I must first prioritize according to importance. Once I’ve prioritized what needs to be done, I can set goals and deadlines and pace myself to accomplish the tasks and achieve the ultimate goal. A calendar with important dates and reminders is a necessity, sometimes reminding me a couple days in advance so I can prepare for the task. Knowing ahead of time helps me plan my days. I even set a daily notice to remind me to study in Come, Follow Me.

Breanne Su'a says:

Cyndi, thank you for sharing! Those are awesome ideas, and you are a great example of effective organization. I love that you also use it as a reminder to study the scriptures. It’s important to stay organized so you can keep life in balance.