November 10, 2022
Did you know that the word “things” is used 2,354 times in the scriptures? For example, the prophet Nephi from the Book of Mormon wrote, “And upon these, I write the things of my soul”1 (italics added). Why do you think Nephi chose a word as vague or common as “things”?
In Elder Ronald A. Rasband’s October 2021 General Conference message, he said, “I used to pass over this verse, thinking the word ‘things’ was not very elegant or spiritual, not grand enough to pair with ‘my soul.’”2 But, he teaches, the repetition of this word shows its importance.
When Nephi referred to the “things of [his] soul,”there was a depth there that went beyond a vague reference. Elder Rasband expanded on the seven most important things we should believe in as disciples of Jesus Christ.
- Love God the Father and Jesus Christ, our Savior
- Love thy neighbor
- Love yourself
- Keep the commandments
- Always be worthy to attend the temple
- Be joyful and cheerful
- Follow God’s living prophet
Elder Rasband encouraged us to complete 8, 9, and 10 from our own experiences. We asked BYU-Pathway students from around the world, “How do you become a true disciple of Jesus Christ?” Here are some of their responses:
Edith Nkanta, Nigeria
8. Be committed in my service to my fellow men
9. Sing in the ward choir to uplift members
10. Attend sacrament meeting regularly
Sree Ranganath Koonisetti, India
8. Live righteously
9. Gather family through family history research
10. Guide members as fellow followers of Jesus Christ
Miwa Bushnell, Japan
8. Always remember my true identity as a child of God
9. Know how our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ treasure us
10. Act upon what the Spirit of God tells me
Neirich Divin Mieghakanda, Congo
8. Be charitable
9. Help those who stand in need of help
10. Be truthful, and treat everyone right
“The things of our souls are often clarified and deepened by asking questions,” taught Elder Rasband.
So, “What are the things of your soul?” Complete your 8, 9, and 10 below!